.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 16, 2012

 
RANDOM 341 OBJECT

Antique WATERCOLOR Painting by Cesare Auguste Detti Young Man w FANFARE TRUMPET -$362

I found Auguste Detti’s turn of the century watercolor in a fine home in southern Indiana quite some time ago, and I was a little taken aback when I did. The home is a stone’s throw from the well known and very old art colony in Nashville, Indiana, so I expected to find some nice old Indiana paintings – but not this – a trumpeter looking for all the world like he stepped out of a Verdi opera.
Then I did a little research, and it all came together.
The painting was sold by the oldest continuously operating art gallery west of the Mississippi, McCaughen & Burr of Saint Louis, and it just so happen M&B also specialize in Brown County, Indiana paintings. This would explain how the couple might have ended up buying art so far from home: They were probably looking for works from their home region. I reckon they just fell in love with this watercolor while browsing. 



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?