.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

 

RANDOM  ABANDONED EBAY
POST

abandoned, but for sale on ebay. from the description.-
This Log House was originally owned by the Ricketts Family of Hardin County, TN, first constructed on forested land approximately 6 miles north of Savannah, TN (of Shiloh Battlefield fame). Made of hand hewn on-site hardwood logs of various lengths, it was moved a few acres north in the 1930's to its present location and reassembled (not very well) on a site where I intend to build a house upon my impending retirement. It is approximately 18' x 20' not including any later day extensions which may still be attached to the back. The original rafter logs for the roof were not reused, I think. I've been asked about rot........these logs will be around a lot longer than any of us. Rot is not a factor. I can not, however, speak for (nor guarantee) the bottom of the bottom layer. If it were laid-down on stone in the 1930's (which was readily available) there should be no rot, even there. It has been obvious to me since I was a child that the logs were far from matched up with what was originally laid-out. This leads me to believe that it may have been disassembled more than once in its long history. Originally, of course, it would have had a wood slat roof, heavy framed doors & windows and the gaps between the logs would have been filled with a fibrous mix primarily of the rich red clay available locally. A wooden floor was added (dirt floors were the norm for early American log houses) in the 1930's and its function since has been as storage for feed, hay, corn, & potatoes and with various extensions over the decades, has provided shelter for many farm creatures, mammal and fowl. It has served the family well. It has always been my intention to puzzle-it-out and reassemble it elsewhere on the property returned to its original layout with on-site materials with original-type hand tools, as did those before us. A grand retirement project. A real piece of Americana that few can claim. Life sometimes changes ones plans and I therefore submit this log house for sale (bid), if my price can be met. I think the best way to make sure all are happy is for me to meet with the final buyer, on location, for final inspection and approval, with no guarentees beyond that point. I presently live in OK. Cashiers Check payment at that time or before. The photos I have attached (sorry for the poor quailty) were taken near three years ago but there is no reason to expect any changes. Although ebay requires a figure on the submission form for shipping costs, all expenses related to dismantle/transport are the responsibility of the buyer (not including my travel expenses). I do however, intend to supervise the dismantle (any treasures found underneath belong to me). Thankyou.......Enjoy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?